This recipe came about by accident, trying to follow another recipe but not quite having all the right ingredients. By making some last-minute store cupboard substitutes we came up with this herby crust for trout. It’s in the no-carb section but diabetics be aware there are a tiny amount of breadcrumbs, however this minimal portion (less than 10g/1 CP) should be covered by your background insulin.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 trout fillets
- Handful of cashew nuts, lightly toasted
- Handful of mint, chopped
- Small handful of thyme, stripped from stalks
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- Lemon juice and zest of half a lemon
- Small glug of olive oil
- Salt and Black pepper
- 1/2 a slice of bread grated into breadcrumbs
- Chilli (optional)
- Steamed broccoli, asparagus and peas
- 2 tablespoons of Sour cream and a generous squeeze of lemon
- Preheat the oven to 190 / 170 (fan) / Gas mark 5 and start to prepare the herby crust by pounding the toasted cashews in a pestle and mortar until fine but with a few large chunks.
- Add to a bowl with the mint, garlic, thyme, juice and zest of half a lemon, breadcrumbs olive oil and chilli. Mix together and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the trout filets skin side down in a baking tray lined with foil – use enough foil to make a parcel covering the fillets.
- Coat the top of the fillets with the herby crust, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli and asparagus for 3-4 minutes then add the peas and steam for a further 5 minutes.
- Mix the soured cream with the juice of half a lemon.
- Serve the trout with a dollop of soured cream and the steamed greens.