Frittatas are another quick midweek supper and are great for using up any veg you might have lying around. As with the eggy breakfast muffin, the egg base of this recipe can be paired with most flavour combinations and is pretty much guaranteed to be delicious every time! Use the egg mixture, feta cheese and spring onion as the base. Or leave out the cheese if you’re looking for a healthier option. This is also a good way to use up any leftover pesto if you’ve recently made my Pesto and Pasta recipe.
Please do watch out once the pan comes out the oven – I always manage to forget how hot the handle is at this point so do be careful!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 spring onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 asparagus, cut in half or a packet of asparagus spears
- 1 courgette (in the pic above I’ve used a round one as the shape is more fun!)
- Medium handful of peas
- 4 – 5 teaspoons of pesto (or to taste)
- Small handful of parsley
- Small handful of chives
- 6 Eggs
- Small portion of feta cheese, cut into cubes (optional)
- Glug of olive oil
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200/180 (fan oven)/ Gas mark 6.
- In a measuring jug or bowl crack the eggs and whisk together with a fork. Once combined, leave to one side for the time being.
- Wash and cut the courgette into ½ cm wide-ish slices.
- Place a large (28cm) frying pan on a medium heat with a glug of olive oil and sauté the courgette and asparagus for 5 minutes.
- Add the spring onion and a handful of peas and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- Once the veg looks softer, add the egg mixture to the pan.
- When the veggies are covered, dollop 4-5 teaspoons of pesto in, crumble the feta over the top, add half the chives and parsley, and season with black pepper.
- Leave the pan on the hob for 5 minutes until the egg begins to cook and look set.
- Finish in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the egg mixture is cooked through and golden brown.
- Serve with the rest of the chives and parsley sprinkled over the top and a delicious side salad!