This is a super tasty, super quick midweek meal, which can also be prepared ahead and eaten cold so is equally great as a packed lunch or a summer supper.
It works particularly well with smoked salmon, however non-smoked will suffice if you’re watching your salt levels. It’s completely carb-free and totally delicious!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 smoked salmon fillets (or non-smoked if unavailable)
- Large handful of petit pois
- 1 packet of sliced runner beans
- Lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 large avocado, sliced into chunks
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, washed
- 1 lemon, cut in half and one half sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 clove of garlic, finely sliced or crushed
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190 / 170 (Fan) / Gas mark 5.
- Take a sheet of foil, enough to make a parcel for the 2 fillets. Place the salmon on the foil, season, squeeze over half the lemon and lay the lemon slices over the top of the fillets.
- Once the oven is warm, cook the fillets for around 20 minutes, depending on the size.
- Prepare the salad dressing by adding the vinegar, oil and mustard to a bowl. Stir thoroughly to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and mix again, crushing it slightly against the side of the bowl to release the flavour. The dressing should be quite tart and tangy with a touch of garlic.
- Dress the lettuce and avocado in the bowl.
- 15 minutes before the salmon is finished, sprinkle the cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil and add to the hot oven.
- When the salmon has just under 10 minutes left in the oven, steam the runner beans and peas for around 5 minutes.
- If you’d rather they were cold in the salad, once steamed, add them to a bowl of icy water to cool them and keep their vivid green colour.
- Drain thoroughly and add to the dressing bowl, along with the lettuce and avo. Give it a quick toss to make sure they’re coated with the dressing.
- Serve the salmon on the bed of greens, topped by the roasted cherry tomatoes.