This carb-free breakfast is ideal for either a quick healthy meal on the run at the office, or a more leisurely breakfast at home.
The muffins can be made in batches and if kept refrigerated can last for about 4-5 days. Reheat them at work with a quick zap in the microwave (15 seconds should do it).
The egg base can be paired with pretty much any combination of vegetables or meat that you like. Here I’m using two flavour combinations – tomato and spinach and bacon and mushroom. Use this recipe as a basis and let your creativity go wild! I’ll be posting more muffin recipes later but feel free to share your favourite combos.
As we’re using such small portions, to save washing up I cook off all the ingredients in the same pan. Try to keep them separate by dividing the pan into quarters or halves with your flavour combinations in each.
Ingredients (makes 8 muffins in 7cm wide silicone muffin cups)
- Preheat oven to 190 / 170 (fan) /Gas mark 5.
- Place a frying pan on the hob and heat, once hot add the bacon to one section of the pan.
- When the bacon starts to change colour and cook, add the butter to the rest of the pan and cook the mushrooms for a minute or two and season them with pepper.
- Keeping the mushrooms separate, add the tomatoes to another section of the pan, cook for a minute then add the spinach and let it wilt – this whole process should take around 5 minutes.
- In a measuring jug, crack the eggs. Beat them and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Snip a few chives into the egg mix.
- If using a muffin tin, lightly grease the bottom and side of each it with a tiny bit of butter, oil or oil spray. If using silicone muffin cups then there’s no need for this step – the egg mixture can be poured straight in.
- Pour the egg mixture into the tray or cups, filling them about 2/3rds.
- Add the bacon and mushrooms to half the muffins and the spinach and tomato to the remainder.
- Snip some more chives into all the muffins and bake for 15-20 mins or until firm on top.
- If eating straight away at home serve with a little rocket and avocado dressed with lemon juice.