This is a misleading title for obvious reasons but this recipe is based on a total classic from lovely Jamie Oliver, which I can highly recommend if you’re having a treat night and fancy a cheeky pasta dish.
Once everything has been chopped and grated it’s pretty quick to prepare so it’s ideal for a midweek supper. I’ve swapped out the shell pasta from the original recipe for chunky pieces of courgette, added a tiny bit of garlic to give it a bit more flavour and green beans to bulk it out a little bit, making this carb-free version just as filling and delicious!
- 4 medium courgettes
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cube of organic chicken stock
- 6 slices of smoked streaky bacon or pancetta/lardons
- A large handful of frozen peas
- A handful green beans, washed, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 100g parmesan
- A handful of fresh mint
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Wash the courgettes and dice into roughly 1 cm cubed pieces then chop the mint, grate the Parmesan and finely slice the bacon.
- Wash, trim and chop the green beans into thirds.
- Place a large frying pan on a medium heat, add a little olive oil and let the pan warm up. Add the bacon and a little black pepper and cook until golden and crisp.
- Place another large frying pan on a medium heat adding a little olive oil and leave to warm.
- After a minute or so add the courgette cubes and the crushed garlic. Sprinkle over half a chicken stock cube, add a little black pepper and stir it all together. These should be fried off for about 5 – 8 minutes in total or until the pieces turn a bit softer but with crispy golden flecks on the flesh.
- Meanwhile, once the bacon is golden add the green beans and toss together. After about a minute add the frozen peas and give it all a good stir.
- Once the peas have been in for about a minute add the Crème fraîche and the chopped mint. Then halve the lemon and squeeze the juice into the pan.
- The courgette should be just about done by now. Spoon a portion into two bowls then add the remainder to the bacon and pea pan.
- Add the parmesan to the pan, saving a little to serve. Mix it all together over the heat then serve in the bowls over the courgette pieces, with a little parmesan sprinkled on top.